The Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust is looking to recruit an Operations Manager based in Cowes to play a key role in our continued expansion and become part of the Trust team as we move forward. Reporting direct to the CEO, the role is to lead a small team in Cowes delivering our Operational activity in The Solent and our Return to Sail activity across Southern England.
About the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust
The Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust takes young people recovering from Cancer sailing to help rebuild their confidence following treatment. Launched 15 years ago we are now working with young people across the UK with bases in Cowes and Largs. Last year we worked with over 540 young people and have plans to increase this number over the next few years.
Person Specification in summary
We are looking for someone with experience in sail training and of working within a safety management system. It would be ideal if this included working with young people although candidates with exceptional people skills will also be considered. You will also be a commercially endorsed RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or have been so previously.
You will need to be capable of building relationships with our partnership organisations, managing volunteers, and have a passion for the Trusts objectives
This is a full-time position based in Cowes in the Isle of Wight requiring flexible working hours with some evening and weekend work required. Some travel around the UK will be required, to run residentials in the summer and to visit our Hospital Contacts in the winter months.
The candidate will need to be based or relocate to be close to Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Applications in the form of a covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and your CV should be sent to Frank Fletcher Units 53-57, East Cowes Marina, Britannia Way, East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32 6DG or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed Job Description
The Operations Manager is responsible for:
- Managing the Operations Team based in Cowes to safely deliver the Trust’s on the water activity in the Solent and part of the Return to Sail programme within the agreed budget, including travel.
- Working with Hospitals / Partnership Organisations in the southern half of England to introduce young people to our trips.
- Recruiting and managing freelance skippers and trip volunteers.
- Day to day management of trips including welcoming young people, coordinating on-shore activities and managing victualling.
- Gathering feedback from all Cowes trip participants – young people, volunteers and skippers.
- Chartering suitable yachts.
- Liaising with any other operational or delivery partners and ensuring they meet our safety management requirements.
- Maintenance of the Trust Yacht and the RIB that are based in Cowes.
- Ensuring the Trust vehicles in Cowes are legal and roadworthy.
- Cowes office Health & Safety and maintenance.
- Working alongside the Operations Manager responsible for Scotland and the North of England.
- Sail training and safety management experience.
- RYA Yachtmaster Commercially Endorsed or equivalent experience
- Experience of working with Young People
- IT Literate
- Full Driving Licence
- The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS check. Please ask if you would like a copy of our policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders
- Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Dinghy SI or similar experience